I agree with Udo's comment about the need to understand the data
structure before making specific suggestions about how to carry out
your analysis.

Our group is responsible for the development of a web-app call
EthnoNotes (see www.ethnonotes.com).  Like other qualitative data
analysis software, coding statistics are available.  One unique
feature that might be useful is the ability to overlay custom rating
scales for each code.  Through this feature, you can apply a rating
everytime you apply a code.  These data can all be exported to Excel
to carry-out more quantitative analyses or into SPSS for your
quantitative analysis.  So if you are wishing to move beyond a 0/1,
present/absent level of analysis, it might be something worth exploring.

Regards,

Eli Lieber

Quoting Subscribe Qual-Software Lby <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hello.
>
> I am trying to plan my dissertation methods and am not sure which software
> package to use. I would like to transform open-ended qualitative responses
> (about 1000 paragraph length, qualitative responses)  into quantitative
> codes to then analyze quantitatively in SPSS. Based on theory, I have a
> coding scheme in mind for how to code the qualitative data. Currently, based
> on this theory, I have 12 separate categories for codes. One way I have been
> thinking about trying to code the data is to try to code a particular
> construct/category as either absent (0), somewhat present (1), or present
> (2). I have been reading about different software packages and am not clear
> a) which package is best for my purposes? b) how I would go about using the
> software to accomplish this goal. My department owns a copy of Nvivo 8. I
> was also considering MAXqda?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions.
>
> thank you.
> Sincerely,
> LBY

Eli Lieber, Ph.D.

Associate Research Psychologist
UCLA
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences
NPI-Center for Culture and Health
760 Westwood Plaza, Box 62
Los Angeles, CA 90024-1759
ph. 310-794-3977; fax 310-794-6297