Kelvin,

I have been teaching design and architecture students for many years, and will be adding a class in Social Science Methods for Landscape Architecture in the Fall, and a service learning class on Environmental Harm and Mitigation. I have also developed a two semester class in Environmental Psychology with a second semester research component for a new program in Sustainable Interior Environments expected to enroll students for the first time in 2010.  All my classes expect research from the students, both because I believe that the only way students really learn is by hands-on work with issues that they care about, and because they can become a more – dare I say—participatory group when they can work on shaping each others’ work.

For the design students I use chapters from Sommer and Sommer  (A Practical Guide to Behavioral Research) and from Zeisel (Inquiry by Design). The latter is more focused in design issues, but both are effective in teaching non-scientists how to approach research questions. I will be supplementing in the two semester class, with other readings on issues like post occupancy evaluation, and focus groups (if I can find something I like), but these two books form a decent core.

As for making the case for the importance of research? Evidence is hard to come by unless we look at all the design and architecture that results from a lack of research! <s>  There’s more than enough of that!

If you’d like my syllabus (in draft form) for the class in Sustainable Interior Environments, let me know off the list.

Best,

Nora

Nora J. Rubinstein, Ph.D.

Place /Space Associates