As a critic/teacher Davie hada  very interesting career: from being a
supporter of Larkin he became a mentor of Tom Raworth, if I remember
correctly. He did write a short poem in his The Shires sequence which
mentions the Leicester Poetry Society at mention ing which people's interest
will perk, unfortunately I have to wince inwardly when mentioning it to
advertise the group as the poem's also little more than doggerel.

The problem with 20th century evaluations of Milton and Shelley in
particular is disentangling critiques of elements of their diction with the
fact that both were political poets and of their time precursors of the
modern left while their arch-detractors like Pound and Eliot (explicitly)
and Leavis (implicitly) were very much of the right wing. I'd hasten to add
that I don't know what Leavis's actual political affiliations were, but his
nostalgic harking back to the organic village is as conservative as,say,the
avowedly anti-democrat Catholic Tolkein.