done some work in/with the Tumut community (Rural NSW Australia) over the
last two years (for my PhD). I implemented a design-led research methodology
constructed out of a compilation of Manzini's work, cultural probes (like
those from Gaver and which Sabine Hielscher uses) and game formats (like the
Underdogs and Superheros project from the Interactive Institute). I asked
the question what kind of sustainable wellbeing the Tumut community wanted
for their future. The results where that they wanted to motivate more
members of their community to get involved in instigating and running
socially oriented activities in their town. After talking to the council
this seems like a core need to encourage bottom up activities. However what
kept coming up through out the project was the need to overcome the inertia
of differing to council or other bodies, a need to empower people to develop
their own initiatives. So even though many outside design don't yet see
the potential value of design research I think enabling bottom
up initiatives is a current need we can contribute to (especially in country
towns like Tumut).
I'm hoping to present my research findings at the Cumulus conference
in Melbourne this November. I have also put some information up on my
wetpaint wiki vivekaturnbullhocking.wetpaint.com

Hope that is of interest
viveka.

--
Viveka Turnbull Hocking