Terry and all,

I don't want to put a further dampener on enthusiasm for design as the
solution to the world's ills, but I concur with Terry. Indeed, from my
research, I think it's even worse than Terry describes it. I think we
are no more able to control the world than does the travelling tinker.
Indeed, I think we designers are the inheritors of that tradition of
practice. We fix today's pots and pans.

You may remember that a few weeks ago I asked some questions about the
issues surrounding making predictions about the behavious of complex
systems. I was not impressed with anything I read on that.

I may be particularly jaundiced at the moment. I am sitting in Cologne
airport waiting for a flight to Stansded and we have just been told
that we won't get any news about our late flight for at least an hour.
What that news will be, who knows! I tell you, we are all doomed! Time
for another beer.

Bring back the Schlieffen Plan, I say! Planning for certainty in
outcomes!

Come on guys, we don't even know where we are now, let alone where we
might plan to end up. The latest departure time in one hour…

David