Documentation by non-clinical staff
You must be reading my mind - was just thinking about the same thing.............

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Huguenel, Tracy
Sent: 16 July 2009 11:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Documentation by non-clinical staff

I am interested in finding out how other departments manage the issue of recoding / logging telephone communications by non-clinical and clinical staff.

The issue stems from calls passed to the OH advisor by the admin team, usually with a post-it on the front of the notes detailing the reason for the call. My concerns is relating to time lines and documentation, ranging from niggles from the client that no-one got back to them to lost post-its to missing information.

I would like the admin staff to note the call in the clinical records, with date, time and details of the person who took the call. We had started a system where all telephone enquires were emailed to the advisors, that way the email was printed out and kept in the notes.

Our admin team are very busy, but they pull the notes for the advisors who deal with the enquiry, and take the time to write the request in their note pad and then onto a post it, so it seems logical to me that they document this formally.

The admin team have some reservations about this, saying they are not clinical and should not be writing in the notes, if tthey sign their name and position, there is no confusion about their position as a non-clinical person writing in the notes, this goes on and on.

How can this be effectively managed to ensure information is appropriately recorded? Any ideas please?

Tracy Huguenel, RGN, SCPHN (OH)
Deputy Head of Occupational Health
F Block Nurses Campus
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Nethermayne
Basildon
SS16 5NP
0845 155 3111 Ext 3982 / 3591
Fax 01268 534127

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net