Dear Colleagues,

                    I happened    to be Paris  last week and was  kindly  taken by  my host   to see a really  splendid    exhibition at the  Town Hall (Hotel  de Ville)  on Gustave  Eiffel  '  La Magicien  du Fer'.  (Actually  I thought he  mainly   used steel  but that's  a   detail!).    Whatever one may   think of the  Tower  which rears its head in the  centre  of  Paris   he was a much   wider   ranging engineer than   many would  realise.    The  exhibition includes   large  drawings, photos and   paintings (some very  beautiful)    of Eiffel's  bridges    etc in  France and its colonies;   he was later  implicated in the  Panama  Canal scandal.   There is also material   on  his early   efforts on aviation   and ballooning  including   what must   be a very early  wind  tunnel   for testing things like  propeller  blades.  Altogether a really  fascinating  show and   the best  possible    excuse for  a trip on Eurostar !     Admission is free and  the  exhibition is open until  29   August.

                                                                                                                                PDH