From: jbugslag <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Translation of relics
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, July 19, 2009, 4:18 PM

Marjorie,
There is some good information on this in Pierre-Andre Sigal, L'homme et le miracle dans la
France medievale (XIe-XIIe siecle) (Paris, 2007), pp. 165ff, "La dynamique miraculeuse".  I
don't believe there was an "official rite" but the process was rather different if it was the case
of a previously unrecognized saint, i.e. an actual elevation, which by the 12th century or so
needed episcopal cooperation to proceed.  It was different in the case of a transference from
one reliquary into another, or from an elevated sarcophagus to a reliquary.
Cheers,
Jim