Thanks Maddy

You beat me to it. I was in west Wales enjoying some mostly fine weather whilst the rest of the UK appears to have been re-enacting Noah's deluge. As you rightly point out, we spent some time discussing how churches may have been used in the late 15th/early 16th century, and that informed the way that we refurbished the re-erected church of St Teilo's. This work is on-going, and as we uncover new evidence we will use this to re-define our presentation. We have already changed one of the wall-paintings from a Majestas to a Trinitas following the re-appraisal of the original evidence. The painting had survived in a fragmentary form as a new window had been inserted through much of it in 1810 - seeing as it had been limewashed over after the Reformation, there was no way they would have known it was there! Our painting is therefore a replica, with the missing bits added in. The original of this and the other paintings uncovered are held at St Fagans: National History Museum (National Museum of Wales) near Cardiff.

Gerallt

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Madeleine Gray
Sent: 27 July 2009 10:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] How did medieval churches function?

I've been waiting for Gerallt to chip in on this one but he's clearly busy!
It's something we have had to look at very closely on the St Teilo's project - how would the Mass, other forms of public devotion and personal use/experience of the church actually work in a small and relatively underfunded prish church in south Wales. The book which Gerallt has recently edited, Saving St Teilo's (Cardiff: National Museum of Wales, 2009) includes a very basic introduction on medieval worship and its social context - well reviewed on Vidimus at http://www.vidimus.org/booksWebsites.html#d0e2498

For more detail, and available on the web:
Transcripts of papers at a conference last autumn at http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/teilo/conference/ include contributions on
  • Interpreting a medieval church through liturgy.
    DH Frost.
    [PDF download, 5.7MB]
  • Public space and private prayer: the church building as locus for personal devotion.
    John Morgan-Guy
    [PDF download, 243KB]
  • 'So that the people can sing together in church': Aspects of the parish soundscape in Wales c.1500–c.1630.
    Sally Harper
    [PDF download, 2.6MB]
  • as well as our own Helen Watt and Rosemary C. E. Hayes The Records of Central Government Taxation in England and Wales: Clerical Taxes 1173-1664 : Introducing a newly-accessible source for the history of the Welsh Medieval Church’.

    [PDF download, 2MB]

    During the research we kept coming back to Eamon Duffy - both Stripping of the Altars and The Voices of Morebath. For a counter-perspective you could try
    Graves, C. P. (2000) The form and fabric of belief. An archaeology of the lay experience of religion in medieval Norfolk and Devon. BAR British Series 311. ISBN 1 84171 161 6.
    - which is very detailed and argues against Duffy that the privatisation of space and visibility was an important element in the experience of late medieval worship.

    Maddy

    Dr Madeleine Gray
    Reader in History
    School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
    University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
    Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
    Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

    'You may not be able to change the world but at least you can embarrass the guilty'
    (Jessica Mitford)