Following up on the last post, try reading them that terrific passage in
The Name of the Rose, where one of the characters describes the vision/
impression on entering a huge medieval church (probably inspired at
least partly by Dionysius the Areopagite). Very evocative.

Andrew Kirkman

Steve Cartwright wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> Every year I teach a survey course on the history of western
> humanities, from the ancient world through the Middles Ages--sort of
> Western Civ without the politics, economics, etc. I get to spend three
> precious weeks on medieval arts, ideas, and culture. This includes
> discussing medieval church architecture, particularly church
> architecture. For years I've been discussing the differences between
> Romanesque and Gothic, and showing pictures of the various styles, the
> stained glass, the sculptures, etc., and putting them into the context
> of the allegorical world view of medieval Europeans. But I've always
> felt something has been missing, namely, just how all the bits and
> pieces of a medieval church--the sculptural program, the stained glass
> program, the layout, the sacred geometry, etc., all fit together into
> an ultimate combination of form and function.
>
> What I want to discuss with my students is just how a medieval church
> building "functioned," or worked, namely, when a medieval churchgoer
> or pilgrim entered a church and saw the whole thing, what did s/he
> think? How did the building *as an integrated whole* function to teach
> or inspire a worshipper? I'm going for the Gestalt here. I already
> discuss such things as the "mysticism of light," the church building
> as a microcosm of the universe, an allegory of salvation, and a
> foretaste of heaven. I want to discuss more fully how that entire,
> complex form functioned, how it all affected the medieval churchgoer.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you might have about this!
>
> Steve Cartwright
> Western Michigan University
> to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it
> to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the
> message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order
> to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information,
> visit our web site:

Andrew Kirkman
Tel: (001) 609 448 9795
Personal website: http://music.rutgers.edu/info/fac-bio/kirkman/