In message
<[log in to unmask]>, Danny
Hope <[log in to unmask]> writes
>2009/7/30 Richard Langley <[log in to unmask]>:
>> Most of our projects use straight 'search box' interfaces, but themes and
>> related objects can be used too - see the topic-driven sections at
>> http://www.winchestermuseumcollections.org.uk/ and
>> http://plasticsnetwork.aib.ac.uk/projects/
>
>FYI, we have created a prototype of the site in question:
>
>https://files.getdropbox.com/u/135578/MoDiP%20Prototype/index.html
>
>…and this is the search interface:
>
>https://files.getdropbox.com/u/135578/MoDiP%20Prototype/collections/sear
>ch-list-view.html

I don't see anything here which couldn't be implemented using the
standard ModesCGI functionality which retrieves index terms and records
as XML, either as part of the page construction process or in response
to an XMLHTTP request.  (Obviously they end up as suitably-formatted
HTML by the time the user sees them.)

There would be a bit of work to support independent filter criteria, but
the rest would be pretty routine.  The support file (see your notes)
could of course be another ModesXML data file - possibly a simple
"termlist" file. (Why on earth do people keep data in spreadsheets?)

Thus the whole site as envisaged could be run dynamically from a live
ModesXML database.

Richard

--
Richard Light