We do, however, need the online collection databases online in the 1st place as the basic info which we can then use in more exciting stuff.
What's depressing about the article is that only the nationals will ever be able to go further because they have large enough budgets & staff to allocate some to digital stuff.
I'm firmly of the opinion that online material can provide experiences & info that the physical collections can't - but it doesn't substitute for the experience of seeing (or even touching!) the actual objects.

I remember as an undergraduate on study trips rather reluctantly going into museums in Amsterdam & Paris because I was so familiar with many of their best stuff from pictures in books, & slides - and finding I was totally blown away by the real objects in most cases.

Janet

Janet E Davis