From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ottevanger, Jeremy
Sent: 17 July 2009 10:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NPG / Wikimedia

Perhaps it's more about principle versus practical*. There are arguments either way if you take an approach based on principles e.g. that people should/shouldn't have an inalienable right to access and reuse content in public ownership. There are arguments either way if you take a practical approach concerning the economics of the issue, and how CH or other non-profits balance the needs of their public with their responsibility to remain financially viable and capable of performing more digitisation etc. These are two separate debates about the same dilemma but often we take an argument from one debate and use it to batter an argument from the other debate, which gets us in a muddle.

Personally I pretty much have to sit on the fence until I can figure out whether principle or practical is more important to me, since I favour contradictory arguments for each. Some days I feel principled, some days I feel unprincipled. That doesn't mean I'm ever especially practical.

Cheers, Jeremy

* or, since practical is a principle, a clash of principles

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2207
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask] www.museumoflondon.org.uk

Spectacular new £20 million Galleries of Modern London opening at Museum of London in spring 2010.

Find out more at www.museumoflondon.org.uk

Before printing, please think about the environment