And there has been increasing pressure from Government for the publicly-funded heritage organisations to make as much income as possible for at least 2 decades. I could write at great length on that saga (if I had the energy).
If museums et al cannot make money, some will just go below sustainability and have to shut; others would have to cut back on opening hours; and yet more would have to reduce exhibitions programme even further.
Heritage is really struggling financially, probably more so currently than at any other time during the last 20 years. Further threats to income, even when they threaten only a small proportion of overall net income, need to be regarded as serious.

Janet

Janet E Davis