From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dan Zambonini
Sent: 15 July 2009 16:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NPG / Wikimedia

This isn't really something that Zoomify, or anything else, can prevent in
the long-run though, so I wouldn't discount Zoomify.

*Any* software (Flash, Javascript, or whatever technology) that displays
some part of an image in a web browser is susceptible to the same weakness;
it's fairly straightforward these days to write code that uses a 'real'
browser to request multiple parts of an image, screen grab the rendered
bitmap, and stitch it all together.

It's a losing battle, really. If you don't want people potentially getting
the large image, the only option is to visibly watermark every single
rendered tile (which isn't great for the user experience), or not show them
at all.

Dan

On 15/07/2009 16:21, "Ottevanger, Jeremy"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's easy to grab the images. The paths to the image tiles are easy to
> find or figure out and then grab, though I guess some automation was
> probably involved in getting hold of these ones. I've never tried
> stitching them together but no doubt there are some utilities out there
> that would make it easy. Or perhaps a little PHP would do it.
>
> However it all takes effort and wouldn't be exactly accidental or
> unpremeditated, so your best protection as always is perhaps not
> technology but encouraging people to behave considerately and
> responsibly towards the material of which you are the guardians.
>
> Hmm, looks like James has found something better for thieving! I'll shut
> up.
>
> Jeremy

Dan Zambonini
Box UK
Internet Development and Consultancy

t:   +44 (0)29 2022 8822
f:   +44 (0)29 2022 8820
e:   [log in to unmask]
w:   http://www.boxuk.com

We are welcoming a new decade of growth and innovation at Box UK. Visit our
website and read the Annual Report (http://www.boxuk.com/annual-report) to
learn more.

Registered Office Address: 6a Poland Street, London, W1F 8PT. Registered in
England and Wales No. 3606919.

Important Information: This message may contain confidential, proprietary or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender immediately and delete the message from your system. You should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person.