This message has been sent through the MASSOBS discussion list. Remember, clicking 'reply' sends your message to the list. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Re: [MASSOBS] 'Observers'
It seems to me that one of the nearest parallels to the original observation is in linguistics, where spoken corpora - huge databases of spoken language - are built up by asking people to wear inconspicuous microphones for a period of time so that informal, everyday conversations can be recorded.  The results are then transcribed and entered into the corpus for linguists to study.  In this case, of course, ethical consent procedures are followed.  It seems to me that these corpora, though compiled for linguistic purposes, might yield interesting sociological insights, just as, in reverse, I have found the Worktown papers to be a valuable resource for studying the spoken language in the 1930s, though the archive was not compiled for that purpose.  It might be as close as we can get to the spirit of the original anyway...

Ivor

From: A discussion and announcement list for the Mass-Observation community on behalf of Dorothy Sheridan
Sent: Thu 16/07/2009 13:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MASSOBS] 'Observers'

This message has been sent through the MASSOBS discussion list.
Remember, clicking 'reply' sends your message to the list.

Oh Bob.... sorry if I sounded bossy. I am delighted you have reactivated
the discussion list!

I always defend the orginal Mass Observers from accusations of voyeurism or
espionage by saying that they only did what anyone with an interest in
human behavious and psychology  might do which is to listen to what people
say at bus stops or in shops and other public places.

But the world is a much more litigious place now, and people are more
sensitive about surveillance and their privacy (eavesdropping, wires, phone
tapping, CCTV, photography).  It means that the Archive as a charity has to
be careful if something is done in its name. We rely on funding from public
sources so must comply with ethical standards.

I think that there is obviously a role of observation in social research
but it needs to be collectively and systematically planned with some shared
training and a awy of being able to reply on the authenticity of results. I
speak from years of experience answering researchers' enquiries about using
the original observations.  Any anthropologists out there wish to come in
on this in relation to their own ethnographic work?
Dorothy