-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Royan
Sent: 02 July 2009 08:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: [CILIP-Council] Beryl Bainbridge on the awfulness of
Libraries

What was Beryl Bainbridge on this morning?
 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/listen_again/default.stm)

"Libraries these days are so absolutely awful; no wonder nobody wants to
go
back"
"They've become like sort of happy clubs you can go to, I mean old
people
can go there to keep warm and read newspapers... and children... "

"they used to be kind of religious... you felt privileged... you had
huge
great shelves of wonderful old-looking books - now it's just paper and
broad
sunlight"
"reading has got to be much more awkward than that"
"sense of seriousness, a sense that this is really a place to go to, and
that the people who go there are really rather important..."

...or have I had an irony bypass?

Professor Bruce Royan,                   Trustee,
CILIP
   (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals)
41 Greenhill Gardens, Edinburgh, EH10 4BL, UK (44) 131 447 3151
Notice to recipient:
The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed
and may contain information which is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is prohibited by law.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately.
Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.

You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk

Please consider the environment, only print out this email if absolutely necessary.

Please Note:  Both incoming and outgoing Emails may be monitored and/or recorded in line with current legislation.