From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Heaton, Mark
Sent: 20 July 2009 13:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Overdue reminders

Hello

We tried to be user friendly and introduced a scheme whereby we sent out reminders for overdue books (free of charge to customer) on the day after the due date, with a week's fine-free period before charges became applicable. So, a sort of pre-reminder.

However, this has cost us a lot of money in postal charges. Obviously the number of 1st overdues rose but the number of 2nd reminders has not gone down as we expected. We still operate a free SMS reminder system for those who've given us their mobile numbers.

We are now looking at a different way forward - does anyone know of any public library authority which does not send out postal reminders at all? Is there any legal obligation to do this? Do our customers see the reminders as annoying harassment or a welcome customer service?

Any views?

With thanks

Mark

Mark Heaton

Manager, Library Service Design & Development

Environment and Development Services

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Tel:…01709 823619

Mobile Tel:..07970 100 702

web. www.rotherham.gov.uk/libraries

Customer Service line (01709) 336774

PThink before you print - please consider the impact on the environment before printing this document.P

There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration. Andrew Carnegie

The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it was addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by using the reply facility in your e-mail software, and then delete it from your system. Rotherham MBC may monitor the content of the e-mails sent and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring compliance with the law and with RMBC policies. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and not those of Rotherham MBC.

THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHED FILES ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail. Opinions, advice or facts included in this message are given without any warranties or intention to enter into a contractual relationship with the City of London unless specifically indicated otherwise by agreement, letter or facsimile signed by a City of London authorised signatory. Any part of this e-mail which is purely personal in nature is not authorised by the City of London. All e-mail through the City of London's gateway is potentially the subject of monitoring. All liability for errors and viruses is excluded. Please note that in so far as the City of London falls within the scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, it may need to disclose this e-mail. Website: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk