Dear all

We are currently looking at ways of improving the management of the booking and loans of our Reading Group book collections. We have approximately  c150 reading groups using the service and c130 titles (in sets of 12) in the collection.  We currently use a spreadsheet with titles down the left hand side and dates across the top.  Groups can, and do, book up to a year ahead and loans are generally for 8 weeks.  We have to type in each booking/loan and although this gives a very clear chart to see what is available and when, it is a very time-consuming process.  Before we launch ourselves into devising an Access database solution we're sure someone out there must have the perfect (or near perfect) solution.  Any suggestions welcome.

Will

Will Newman/Priscilla Baily

Reader/Audience Development Officer

Derbyshire County Council

Cultural and Community Services Department

Alfreton Library

Severn Square

Alfreton

DE55 7BQ

Tel: 01773-831359

Email: [log in to unmask]

Email: [log in to unmask]

www.derbyshire.gov.uk

www.artsderbyshire.org.uk   - the arts information website for Derbyshire

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries." - Anne Herbert

Will is currently reading:

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.  One of the shortlisted novels for the 2008 Costa award this book intriguingly has no blurb except for : " It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific." "The story starts there, but the book doesn't. And it's what happens afterwards that is most important." "Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it."

Will has just finished:

A Year of Living Biblically by A J Jacobs.  The author recounts his year's experience of trying to live by the codes in the Bible.  It is fun, but not mocking.  Also worth reading AJ's previous book The Know It All, recounting his attempt to read through the entire encyclopaedia Britannica from A - Z.

Think before you print! Save energy and paper. Do you really need to print this email?
Derbyshire County Council is one of the best councils in the country. With the audit commission's top 'Four Star' rating we work to improve the lives of local people by delivering high quality services.
You can find out more about us by visiting 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk'. If you want to work for us go to our job pages on 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk/jobs'. You can register for e-mail alerts, download job packs and apply on-line.

Please Note
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged and may contain personal views that are not the views of Derbyshire County Council. It is intended solely for the addressee. If this email was sent to you in error please notify us by replying to the email. Once you have done this please delete the email and do not disclose, copy, distribute, or rely on it.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the contents of this email may be disclosed.

Derbyshire County Council reserves the right to monitor both sent and received emails.