From: Mary Hawking <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:24
Subject: electronic discharges

We received a few new format, electronic discharges last week : I have serious concerns (which have been reported to everyone I can think of!).
The system was activated last week, and does not extend across all units in the trust from which they were received.
I have been told (my informant was passing my concerns on and not involved directly) that this system had been mandated by TPTB across the region, and that the local staff in that department shared my concerns and were pursuing the problems..
Has anyone else received any of these? If you have, is there any way of identifying the system apart from internal analysis of the content?
If you agree with me (or if the IT program generating the electronic discharges is generating Excellent, Good, Mediocre or dangerous discharges) , could you tell me what is going on?
At the moment, I don't know what is going on - but check medication - especially paediatric for clues..
These are early days - not received sufficient material for full analysis! - but I consider the patient safety risks too great to wait for further damage!

Mary

PS who commissioned the software - had they checked functionality and output - and do they understand the issues?
unshareable comments off-line please!
-- Mary Hawking