Juergen,
     Speaking of biotite tangents, the thermodynamic properties of Ti, vacancy substitutions, and solid solution of muscovite also remain unclear.  One would expect that these problems would be exacerbated at higher T.  Below is what I wrote in a review paper (Essene, 2009).

     "Determination of the Ti formula in a given biotite requires measurement of both FeO and total Fe as well as H2O, and even then one cannot distinguish Ti-1Si1 from Ti-1(Al)IV-2(Fe2+)1Si2 without additional structural information.  One cannot simply assume all Fe2+ in biotite even in graphitic schists because of the documented significant (8-15%) Fe3+ found in Mössbauer in biotite by Guidotti and Dyar (1991).  A complex biotite composition means the major mechanism for Ti is ambiguous because reactions can be written among postulated biotite species, including the above Ti exchanges, as well as Al-oxy or Fe3+-oxy and vacancy as dioctahedral solid solution, [ ]2R3+=3R2+ (Bohlen et al. 1980; Rancourt et al. 2001).  The latter substitution is fixed for Al vs. Mg + Fe2+ in both micas when muscovite coexists with biotite.  Patiño Douce (1993) postulated an octahedral site vacancy substitution for Ti, [ ]Ti=2R2+, but there is no way to distinguish it from a vacancy engendered by dioctahedral Al or Fe3+ substitution.  The correlation of octahedral site vacancy with increasing Ti (Patiño Douce 1993) is potentially flawed: a false vacancy in Ti-oxy biotite is generated by a 22 O normalization.  Consider the formula of a Ti-oxy biotite, K2TiFe4.5Al0.5Si5.5Al2.5O20(OH)2O2, which must be normalized to 23 O!  Erroneously normalizing to 22 O yields K1.91Ti0.96Fe4.30Al0.12[ ]0.62Si5.26Al2.74O20(OH)4 on an anhydrous basis, apparently closer to a dioctahedral than a trioctahedral mica, but only because it was misnormalized."
    "Electron microprobe data alone cannot be used to predict the VI occupancy in biotite (Afifi and Essene 1988).  The only reliable way to normalize titanian biotite is to measure Fe3+/Fe2+ as well as H2O and apply an anion normalization (Bohlen et al. 1980; Sassi et al. 2008).  One cannot evaluate alternative substitutions in biotite or muscovite with an electron microprobe analysis when also granting the possibility of Fe3+.  Atomic plots such as those shown by Sassi et al. (2008) are not persuasive of a particular substitution even with complete analyses of biotite because they represent projections from multicomponent biotite space onto two dimensions.  Thus, Ti-oxy substitution cannot be resolved from Al- or Fe-oxy, nor Ti-vacancy from Al- or Fe3+-vacancy substitutions.  Structure refinements of 10 biotite grains from medium grade metapelites show 6-24% vacancies ordered into the M1 octahedral site and 0-15% vacancies in the K site of the biotite crystals, as well as 7-12% trioctahedral substitution in four muscovite crystals that coexist with the refined biotite grains (Brigatti et al. 2008).  Reasonable crystal-chemical assumptions were made in reaching this result, including placing all Ti and AlVI in the M2 site of biotite.  The data indicate limited but significant mutual solid solution of biotite and muscovite in peraluminous metapelites and granites (Brigatti et al. 2000, 2008)."

    Drill core or quarry sampling is one way to test the problem.  One would think that if the biotite is oxidized late it would be by the oxybiotite substitution, Fe2+OH / Fe3+O (barring partial chloritization).  In that case the biotite composition would remain otherwise unchanged.  It would be nice to compare nearby metamorphic rocks at the same grade with different inferred oxidation states (e.g., hematite quartzites vs. graphitic schists). We have found that biotite from drill core samples of oxidized granites having hematite-rich ilmenite has higher Fe3+ than from more reduced samples with hematite-poor ilmenite.  Yes, systematically comparing the valence of biotite in a variety of graphitic schists is a good approach.  I have faith in petrographic observation but it needs testing.
cheers,
eric

Afifi AM, Essene EJ (1988) Minfile: a microcomputer program for storage and manipulation of chemical data on minerals. Am Mineral 73:446-448

Bohlen SR, Peacor DR, Essene EJ (1980) Crystal chemistry of a metamorphic biotite and its significance in water barometry. Am Mineral 65:55-62

Brigatti MF, Frigieri P, Ghezzo C, Poppi l (2000) Crystal chemistry of Al-rich biotites coexisting with muscovites in peraluminous granites. Am Mineral 85:436-448

Brigatti MF, Guidotti CV, Malferrari A (2008) Single-crystal X-ray studies of trioctahedral micas coexisting with dioctahedral micas in metamorphic sequences from western Maine. Am Mineral 93:396-408

Essene EJ (2009) Thermobarometry gone astray.  In: Physics and Chemistry of Earth's Interior, Gupta AK, Dasgupta S, eds., Platinum Jubilee, Indian Nat. Sci. Acad., Springer-Verlag, Chap. 6, 101-129.

Guidotti CV, Dyar MD (1991) Ferric iron in metamorphic biotite and its petrologic and crystallochemical implications. Am Mineral 76:161-175

Patiño Douce AE (1993) Titanium substitution in biotite: an empirical model with applications to thermometry, O2 and H2O barometries, and consequences for biotite stability. Chem Geol 108:133-162
Rancourt DG, Mercier PHJ, Cherniak DJ, Desgreniers, S, Kodama H, Robert JL, Murad E (2001) Mechanisms and crystal chemistry of oxidation in annite: resolving the hydrogen-loss and vacancy reactions. Clays Clay Minerals 49:455-491

Sassi R, Cruciani G, Mazzoli C, Nodari L, Craven J (2008) Multiple titanium substitutions in biotites from high-grade metapelitic xenoliths (Euganean Hills, Italy): complete crystal chemistry and appraisal of petrologic control. Am Mineral 93:339-350

Hi everyone,
This is now going off on a tangent perhaps, but following up on Eric’s remark, I am wondering where we are with the Fe3+ in biotite problem. There seems to be some consensus that all biotite contains substantial Fe3+, even under reducing conditions, based on quite a number of published ferrous/ferric Fe determinations in biotites from a variety of rocks which appear to confirm that. There are two comments I want to make, just to play the devil’s advocate (and to provoke debate):
(1) I remember that many years ago Moessbauer analyses had been done on drillcore samples from the KTB deep drilling project showing variable Fe2+/Fe3+ ratios in biotite, but Fe3+ was not detected in all biotite samples. If that is real, any Fe3+ measured may well be secondary. I believe all these rock samples were graphite-bearing and compositionally similar.
(2) Biotite is notoriously sensitive to secondary oxidation. Whether it “looks fresh” in the microscope is not a particularly strong argument to exclude any secondary alteration. It just means there is no obvious visual evidence. So, how can we ever be sure that the Fe3+ contents actually measured, let alone those introduced via correction procedures, are even roughly correct, in terms of primary biotite composition? Most commonly, we pick our samples from surface outcrops, and yet assume that minerals such as biotite remained isolated from the influence of subsurface oxidizing fluids (before exposure) and weathering agents. Isn’t that wishful thinking in order to keep our lives simple?
Are there any experiments to shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Juergen

J. Reinhardt
School of Geological Sciences