Dear Juergen and all,
concerning Fe3+, first of all there are experiments on the (high-T!)
oxydation of biotite (e.g., Virgo and Popp 2000 Am Min, plus more
recent ones).
I agree with you that weathering is an important issue, and may be
difficult to detect. However, let's consider the problem the other way
around: Fe3+ exists and has the right size to enter the octahedral
site. Why couldn't it stay in biotite, like in other minerals?
In any case, I believe that the occurrence of low-T retrograde
oxidation can be verified analytically, by cross-checking EMP,
Mossbauer, SIMS and single-crystal XRD (what we did in the 2003 paper
quoted below). Note also that low-T Fe3+ uptake need not necessarily
take place by an oxy-exchange, but might involve K loss in the
interlayer. This could be another way of testing for weathering.

Concerning titanium, for the sake of completeness I add a few works
that have dealt with and reviewed this issue in various ways:

Waters, D.J. & Charnley, N.R., 2002. Local equilibrium in
polymetamorphic gneiss and the titanium substitution in biotite .
American Mineralogist, 87, 383-396.

Cesare B., Cruciani G. and Russo U. (2003) Hydrogen deficiency in
titanium-rich biotite from anatectic metapelites (El Joyazo - SE
Spain): implications for high-temperature petrogenesis American
Mineralogist, 88, 583-595.

Cesare, B., Satish-Kumar, M., Cruciani, G., Pocker, S., Nodari (2008)
Mineral chemistry of Ti-rich biotite from pegmatite and metapelitic
granulites of the Kerala Khondalite Belt (SE India): Petrology and
further insight into titanium substitutions. American Mineralogist,
93, 327-338

Tajcmanova L., Connolly JAD, Cesare B. (2009) A thermodynamic model
for titanium and ferric iron solution in biotite. Journal of
Metamorphic Geology, 27, 153-165

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Bernardo

Bernardo Cesare
Dipartimento di Geoscienze, Universita' di Padova
Via Giotto, 1, I-35137 PADOVA 	ITALY
Tel: ++39-049-8272019	Fax: ++39-049-8272010
email: [log in to unmask]
web site: www.dmp.unipd.it/bernardo/bernardo.html
web site: www.micrROCKScopica.org

"se non tiri, non fai gol..."    (R. Braga, 2009)