Hi all,

I wondered whether anyone else has had contact with the International Primary Curriculum? I recently met representatives of the IPC and they said there were actually about 520 schools doing it now across the UK, which is a significant minority.

It is all about old-fashioned topic based teaching and includes "treasure", "building a village" and "myths and legends" in a list of about 80 topics.

The teacher who came along to tell us how they were using it did say that the one thing that is hard about teaching it are the lack of resources available to support it. I wondered whether some cultural and heritage resources could be linked to the topics.

The costs are quite high for schools to start using the curriculum, £7500 one-off fee which includes curriculum planning help and access to all the full topics, and then £1000 a year membership to continue receiving support and access to resources as they get created. On talking to the representatives they seemed quite happy to do a deal for the cultural sector as curriculum support would not be needed. I think it might be worth talking to them about membership for museums/heritage/ cultural organisations.

Alternatively, the new KS2 curriculum is going to look very like this, anyway, so we could wait until that is out, and it'll be free. What are people's thoughts?

The representative I met was Martin Skelton, the Founding Director, though I don't have his direct contact details, I'm afraid.

Kim Biddulph
Heritage Educator and Interpreter
www.kimbiddulph.co.uk
07888 674376