Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. As you suggested, I looked at the
cope1.feat/stats/zstat image. The unthresholded zstat image does show
a fair amount of activation. So, it looks reasonable enough....

I also followed your second suggestion, and looked at the timeseries
for the filtered functional data that were fed into the higher-level
analysis. I basically selected random voxels and observed their
timecourse of activation. I'm not sure how much useful information I'm
getting from doing this. Is there something else I should be looking
at in the individual subjects' filtered functional data? Should I look
specifically at the maxZstat voxel?

Thanks,
Mona

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Steve Smith<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi - have you looked at the unthrehsolded group-level zstat image that is in
> the <something>.gfeat/cope??.feat/stats directory?  Check that it contains
> something somewhat reasonable...if your model was correct at second-level
> and all subjects activated consistently then yes you should get a strong
> group result.  You can load in the data that was input to the final
> group-level analysis (filtered_func_data in that cope??.feat directory) into
> FSLView and turn on timeseries viewing to see what the different subjects'
>
> Cheers.
>

> On 27 Jul 2009, at 19:26, Mona Lisa Chanda wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just completed a mixed effects OLS analysis for the group mean of 18
>> first-
>> level FEAT directory inputs. When I looked at the output, the higher-level
>> COPE map was empty. I'm not sure what this means. There was a MaxZStat
>> of 2.6, but no blobs of activation are visible on the map (presumably
>> because
>> so few voxels passed threshold). I'm puzzled about this because (a) most
>> of
>> the lower level COPES do show activation (b) I did not apply any masks to
>> the
>> data (c) my supervisor predicted that we'd see tons of activation :)
>>
>> I understand that this result may simply reflect the statistics that were
>> applied at the higher-level (e.g. different degrees of freedom). But, I'm
>> also
>> concerned that something might have gone wrong with the analysis.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Mona

> Stephen M. Smith, Professor of Biomedical Engineering
> Associate Director,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre
>
> FMRIB, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford  OX3 9DU, UK
> +44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
> [log in to unmask]    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve

Mona Lisa Chanda
Northwestern University