Dear Hans,

> Thanks, but I am interested in a more detailed answer about exactly
> how the residuals are permuted :). Here's my question again for
> reference:
>
> ---
> I have a question regarding randomise residuals. As per my
> understanding randomise fits the null model only to the data and
> calculates null only residuals. Then it permutes these null only
> residuals and adds them back onto the fitted null model to create
> realizations of null data. My question is:
>
> Are these null only residuals modified (or standardized) in any way
> before permuting them? If so, exactly how?

I'm no expert on randomise, but is seems pretty straightforward to me.

Let's say you have a model with two groups and age as a covariate, and
that your contrast happens to be [1 0], i.e. you are interested in
effects of group after affects of age have been removed.

By virtue of you contrast not spanning the age regressor randomise can
identify it as a "confound" and regress out all effects of age. What
is left is the residuals, i.e. that which in our model can be
explained either by group or not at all. randomise will the permute
these residuals (equivalent to permuting the group indicators), for
each permutation fitting the GLM to all voxels and calculating the t-
statistic. Depending on your inference it may then save away maximum
voxel, maximum cluster size etc, thus building an empirical
distribution of that statistic.

I hope this is clear?

Good Luck Jesper