Hi Andy,

I appreciate your frustration too, although it may not be so bad here. It seems that the academic sector is much more open to Web 2.0 than the the NHS. I know some library services had created library blogs (even using them for their main site) and have been able to “get away with it”. However, I believe some librarians are a bit apprehensive about setting up sites independent of IT.

I know Andrew Keen in “Cult of the Amateur” is rather disparaging about the whole Web 2.0 phenomena, but then, as Phil Bradley, has pointed out you can try and see what works for you and if it doesn’t drop it. Here in the East Midlands I’m trying to encourage our trainers’ to set up a group on LinkedIn (we’re currently using Yahoo! Groups), although I guess there’s much more we could be doing.

I am interested to see if NHS Evidence persists with the MyLibrary/MyUpdate page(s) which NLH developed, as this is the main way we’ve introduced Web 2.0 (RSS feeds in particular) to our users and I still find very useful. I’ve also used Flickr to circulate photos of our new work location to colleagues as well. Still there is more we could be doing. Thankfully, our website is getting a facelift this autumn but how much we can incorparate the Web 2.0 stuff remains to be seen.

Richard

Richard Crookes

Resource Centre Manager

NHS Nottingham City

Tel: (0115) 883 4213 (x 34213)

The Resource Centre is moving! The Resource Centre at Linden House will close on Friday 10th July at 4.30pm and re-open at its new location, Aspect House, Bulwell at 9.00am, Monday 10th August. Knowledge Resources can still be contacted during the re-location period as the email and phone voicemail will be monitored on a daily basis. Please see our flyer on the intranet for our new contact details.

size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>