Dear Grant, Paul and others on the list

I share your experience. Trying to explain any "-ology" can be hard.

Anna had a particular skill in explaining the complex, simply. Her thought was that ‘evidology’ had the edge over the other suggested contractions of evidence and epidemiology.

·         it has fewer syllables

·         is easier to pronounce

·         it has a purer derivation - from the latin videre. Which was thought to be more acceptable to classics scholars and has the same derivation as evidence

·         and finally avoids the thought that EBM (or EBP or EBHC) is a branch of epidemiology. Evidology in the EB tradition includes three types of evidence; research evidence, clinical judgment and patient experience and is not restricted to evidence supplied by medical research or doctors.

Anna would indeed have been delighted that people have considered using the term.

Best wishes

Rob

Dr Rob Cook

Bazian Ltd