Hi

I'm currently doing an OU module in TESOL, working towards my MEd, and as
part of this am required to conduct a small scale research project. It's
connected to curriculum design and focusses on the use of the ESOL
curriculum materials.

The aim is to investigate whether ESOL teachers and learners find the
National ESOL Curriculum the most useful and effective tool for teaching and
learning English, the extent to which the needs of ESOL learners are met
and, at a subsidiary level, if the distinction made between materials
referred to as ESOL and EFL is useful in designing a curriculum for ESOL
learners.
I hope to find how successfully ESOL teachers feel the ESOL curriculum
materials match their learners’ needs, particularly in light of the changing
nature of ESOL learner characteristics, including socio-cultural and
educational background factors, as a result of the expansion of the EU and
changing global politics. As a teacher involved with ESOL teaching, I have
found that using the ESOL materials with different groups of ESOL learners
has had different levels of positive learner response to the topics and
language focus contained in the ESOL curriculum. A group of diverse
learners, such as is often found in an ESOL group, requires teaching
material addressing such diversity and the ESOL National Curriculum was
designed for this purpose; I hope to discover how far ESOL practitioners
feel this has been achieved.

It would be really helpful if you could spare 5 minutes to complete the
attached questionnaire - and I'd be very grateful! Although it may appear
lengthy it is just 14 questions, to which you only need to tick boxes. If
you would like to add any comments in the relevant boxes as well, or in an
email, all info would be gratefully received!

The information will be treated confidentially and anonymously; the findings
will form part of my research project for the OU, but won't be used in any
other way.

Many thanks for your help, I do (or will!) appreciate it!
Elaine

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to