From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of lindy o'halloran
Sent: 02 July 2009 11:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: private ESOl provision

The worst one I heard about was a young Pakistani man who had already passed Entry 1 and 2 exams with us at college. He didn't realise we could give him a letter for the Home Office, but went to an organisation in Luton (apparently a franchise from a legitimate F.E.college). He told them he had been at college but they advised him that our (Cambridge Skills for Life) certificates were 'no good' and that he should sign up with them for a short course. He did one or two weeks with them, where they coached him through an Entry 1 speaking exam, charged his family hundreds of pounds, then gave him the standard letter for the Home Office saying he had progressed from pre-entry to Entry 1. I told him to get his father to complain, but I don't know if they followed it up.

The problem is that these organisations spring up when people are desperate - like the young Bangladeshi wives who can't access ESOL provision for the first year they are here because of the residence rules, and waiting lists, but then barely have any time to go to classes before they need to apply for ILR. I have a couple in my class who have 'done' Entry 1 speaking this way through a private organisation before they ever got into a legitimate ESOL class. You could argue the crash courses are providing an essential service for people in this situation, but the opportunities for abuse are frightening.

Linda
Oaklands College, St Albans