Hi Everyone, I came accross this in an attic and thought I would share it with you .

The Learner’s Tale

With thanks to the brothers Grimm

Once upon a time there was a girl who was young and beautiful and she was called Ella. She had had to leave her family and go and live with a distant aunt. Whenever this woman gave her anything to do, she worked at it indefatigably, and did everything that lay in her power. Still she could not touch the heart of the woman, she was never satisfied, it was never enough. The harder the girl worked, the more work was put upon her, and Ella was weighed down with still heavier burdens.

One day Ella’s aunt said to her, here are twelve pounds of feathers which you must pick, and if they are not done this evening, you may expect to be thrown out. Do you imagine you are to idle away the whole day. The poor girl sat down to the work, but tears ran down her cheeks as she did so, for she saw plainly enough that it was quite impossible to finish the work in one day. Whenever she had a little heap of feathers lying before her, and she sighed or smote her hands together in her anguish, they flew away, and she had to pick them up again, and begin her work anew. Then she put her elbows on the table, laid her face in her two hands, and cried, is there no one, then, on God's earth to have pity on me.

Then she heard a low voice which said, be comforted, my child, I have come to help you. The maiden looked up, and an old woman was by her side. She was called Inger. Inger took the girl kindly by the hand, and said, only tell me what is troubling you. As she spoke so kindly, the girl told Inger of her miserable life, and how one burden after another was laid upon her, and she never could get to the end of the work which was given to her. If I have not done these feathers by this evening, my aunt will throw me out, she has threatened she will, and I know she keeps her word. Her tears began to flow again, but the good old woman said, do not be afraid, we can do this together.

The old woman seated herself at the table with the feathers, and how they did fly off the quills and wove into dream catchers. The twelve pounds were soon finished, and soon the room was filled with dream catchers. They were not perfect but beautiful.

The maiden thanked God, and sat still till evening came, when the aunt came in and marvelled to see the work completed. Just look, you awkward creature, said she, what can be done when people are industrious, and why could you not set about something else. There you sit with your hands crossed. When she went out she said, the creature is worth more than her salt. I must give her some work that is still harder.

Next morning she called the girl, and said there is a spoon for you. With that you must empty out the great pond which is beside the garden, and if it is not done by night, you know what will happen. The girl took the spoon, and saw that it was full of holes, but even if it had not been, she never could have emptied the pond with it. She set to work at once, knelt down by the water, into which her tears were falling, and began to empty it. But the good old woman appeared again, and when she learnt the cause of her grief, she said, be of good cheer, we will work together. She clicked on her mobile and went on the ESOL Research List. Once there, she asked all her friends for help. In the blinking of an eye, she was surrounded by a forest of men and women. They all cupped their hands and soon the pond was empty. She went to her aunt, and showed her that the work was done. It ought to have been done long before this, said she, and grew white with anger, but she meditated something new.

On the third morning she said to the girl, you must build me a wall on the plain there, and it must be ready by the evening. The maiden was dismayed, and said, how can I complete such a great work. I will endure no opposition, screamed the aunt. If you can empty a pond with a spoon that is full of holes, you can build a castle too. I will take possession of it this very day, and if anything is wanting, even if the smallest brick is askew, you know what lies before you.

She drove Ella out, and when Ella entered the valley, the rocks were there, piled up one above the other, and all her strength would not have enabled her even to move the very smallest of them. She sat down and wept, and still she hoped the old woman would help her. The old woman was not long in coming ................

And here on a cliff hanger, dear reader, the story waits. Can Inger help Ella this time? What fate awaits Ella and others like her? Would someone like to continue the story, or even better, conclude it?

Adapted from http://www.familymanagement.com/grimm’sfairytales

Naeema Hann

Naeema B.Hann

PhD Researcher

Leslie Silver International Faculty

Macaulay Hall

Headingley Campus

Leeds Metropolitan University

Leeds LS6 3QS

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]