Totally agree: "I salute the courage and perspicacity of Amilcar Vital
in reaching a realistic conclusion"

Living in a Latin American context I think that one of the biggest
stumbling blocks to  many areas in Latin America, including disability
issues, is the entrenched belief that the West holds the answers.  I
have had more than one stand-up argument with folk who have never
travelled outside their home state (village even) yet are prepared to
swear their lives that there is no unemployment / homelessness / AIDS /
hunger / domestic violence (pick your issue) in the northern
hemisphere.  On one hand, Hollywood et al have a lot to answer for.  Our
landlord here actually told us that our septic tank would never need
emptying, presumably because he thought that white people never use the
toilet, a la Hollywood.  On the other hand, to let go of those beliefs
is a brave decision.  If I have none of the answers and you have all of
the answers, then all I need to do is to find a way to access your
answers.  If you don't have any answers either, then maybe we both have
to face the harsh but enriching reality that the answers we think we are
looking for might not even exist, and our best way out of here will be
to support each other as we scratch out our tune on the roof.

Hazel