Subject: Re: DISABILITY-RESEARCH Digest - 13 Jul 2009 to 14 Jul 2009 (#2009-165)

Call it 'essentialism'. Interesting term. Perhaps non-disabled people should do a 'Bob Connell' and give themselves an impairment if they feel so strongly about the systematic oppression that we face as Disabled people in our everyday lives.  I jest, of course but the point is Men do speak on behalf of women, white people do speak on behalf of Black and minority ethnic people and so forth.  This is not to say that those individuals do not identify with groups of people who are seemingly oppressed by those that hold the power but as Colin says - it should be disabled people first and foremost that speak on their own behalf until we have some semblance of equality.
'Disability scholarship' is an interesting phrase as well.  Yes, of course academia and the study of disability may further the social movement but it is disabled people themselves that should be challenging and revolutionising the social construct that notwithstanding disability scholarship, legislation, direct payments is not suited to the human being and in particular the human being with impairment.

Message Received: Jul 15 2009, 12:58 AM
From: "Malacrida, Claudia"
To: [log in to unmask]

I'm not so sure that essentialism is the answer. Bob Connell was a very
articulate and positive critic of gender and power and although a man,
was well-accepted as a member of the women's movement and seen as a
strong contributor to women's studies. I think one of the strengths of
having Bob Connell 'on-side' was that he was seen by hostile outsiders
as a person who didn't have a personal 'agenda' because he was not a
woman. In fact, I have heard from some essentialist women that, now that
Connell has transitioned to being a woman and goes by the name Raewyn
Connell, that her position as a disinterested profeminist scholar has
actually been undermined! And of course, there are also feminists who
feel that Raewyn isn't a 'real' woman because she wasn't born one, and
so she's disqualified on that score as well. Seems you can't win
sometimes.

I'd say the same thing goes for disability scholarship - if we're going
to say that someone has to have a disability in order to
speak/write/advocate, then perhaps the next step will be that they need
to have visible disabilities, or that they have to have been born with a
disability rather than acquiring it, or it has to be physical rather
than sensory, or some other ratcheting up of policing the body. I wonder
if it isn't more important to evaluate what people have to say in terms
of their ethics and the usefulness of their work for the greater social
movement than it is to assess their credentials on a scale of whether,
or how profoundly, they are disabled/gendered, etc.

Best wishes,
Claudia Malacrida