Dear all

As a writer and advocate for my son who has an intellectual disability
I am always interested in what researchers in the area have to say
about who has the right to talk, to record and comment. And here my
intellectual side says anyone who does the research.

I am also expecially interested in what life was like for those with
an intellectual disability in the past - and this is where things get
tricky. Virtually all accounts are written by others about 'them.'
While I want to promote the voice of my son and for him to have a say
- it isn't all that easy - and often I have to 'translate'.

It is by no means a simple discussion - I for one have issues with the
fact I talk for my son in many ways - but talk I do and he is in
mainstream school - the first child with Down syndrome to attend and I
just keep trying to open his life.

I very much appreciate this list and on another note - any suggested
books that depict life and work experience for the disabled especially
in the last 1000 years would be welcome. Or any papers. My latest read
was Cultural Locations of Disability.

Best wishes

Fiona

Fiona Place