Here it's part of our internet code of practice that "thou shalt not divulge personal bank details or credit card numbers via web or email". We all sign up to say we agree  - even if ultimately we ignore the rule - so if anyone did break the rules and got their fingers burnt there wouldn't be any come back on the Council.

Phil.

Information & Research Officer
Neighbourhood Services
Leeds City Council

Tel: 0113 24 75630
Fax: 0113 24 75978

Address:
Environment and Neighbourhoods Regeneration Service
6th Floor West, Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, LEEDS LS2 8BB

http://www.leeds.gov.uk

This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 03/07/2009 12:48:47:

> Without delving too far into the legal topic of vicarious liability, the
> obvious point here is that it is not part of (most) employees jobs to
> provide such information so they would be acting outside the terms of
> their employment - so no liability.
>
> This would apply whether it was their own or someone else's personal
> data e.g. I may know a colleagues bank account details because he wrote
> me a cheque for something personal. If through some spam to my work
> mailbox I was persuaded to pass that on to a third party my employer
> would not be responsible and  equally I cannot claim if I divulge my own
>

> Phillip Bradshaw
>
> Information Manager
> Clerk to the Council
>
> Room CY4B, County Hall
>
> EMail: [log in to unmask]
>
> Phone:         029 2087 3346
> Mobile :        07890 265987
>
> Fax:              029 2087 3349
>
> Mae Cyhoeddi Cynnar yn Codi Canfod Cadarnhaol
> Proactive Publishing Promotes Positive Perceptions

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the

intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,

please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please

delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]