Your photographer's approach is perfect.  I'm sure others will take this
important issue on board and make this a condition of the photographer's
contract.

Dealing with what Phil faces, though, is interesting. He may not waste
public money, and must be seen to be squeaky clean.  Tough set of issues
to face.

Lawrence Serewicz wrote:
> Philip,
> I am surprised that the photographer did not have forms or a card to hand. Our press officer/photographer, who worked at sporting events with kids, would not worry about the group (crowd) shots, but any individuals or closeups would be done with consent.  They would give them a card and collect their contact details to send them a consent form as soon as they got back to the office.
>
> The general notice is good for letting people opt out of the photo. A close up would be something where the people have to opt in, sign a consent form, whether they are adults or children.  I would think this is doubly important if you are thinking of using it in the publicity.
>
> You may want to review your council's policies, especially relating to photographs of children. I know a number of councils have a photography policy to cover these types of situations.
>
> I would say that the harm in this case is minimal unless the name of the child was also present, which does not appear to be the case.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Lawrence

*Tim Trent* - Consultant
*/Tel/*: +44 (0)7710 126618
*/web/*: ComplianceAndPrivacy.com <http://complianceandprivacy.com> -
where busy executives go to find the news first
*/personal blog/*: timtrent.blogspot.com/
<http://timtrent.blogspot.com/> - news, views, and opinions
*/personal website/*: Tim's Personal Website
<http://www.trent.karoo.net> - more than anyone needs to know

Marketing by Permission
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/MarketingByPermission/%7E6/1>

*Important*: This message is private and confidential. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your
system. This email and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free,
but it is the responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary
virus checks. This email and any attachments to it are copyright of
Meadowood Associates, owners of Compliance And Privacy, unless otherwise
stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction in whole or in part
may only be undertaken with the express permission, in writing, of
Meadowood Associates, at Meadowood House, 30 Redditch, Bracknell,
Berkshire, RG12 0TT.