What a fascinating list and set of descriptors. I wonder how the editors of the Journal of Economic Geography must feel about their journal's absence.

Good news for institutions with members on discipline panels, however. They won't be losing their academics for nearly as much time during the assessment as there will be no need to read anyone's submissions; a quick tally of entries against the master list and job done. In fact, why not just get a computer to do all the work?

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Bissell
Sent: 30 July 2009 09:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Australian ERA Metrics

Whilst full implementation of the Australian ERA is from 2010, only the Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences (PCE) and Humanities and Creative Arts (HCA) lists have been finalised at present.

The Environment and Planning journals currently feature in the finalised HCA list under "Urban and Regional Planning" as follows:

A*	Environment and Planning A
A	Environment and Planning B: Planning & Design
B	Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy
B	Environment and Planning D: Society and Space
(see http://www.arc.gov.au/xls/hca_journals_unique.xls)

I should also mention, the list in my original message is taken from the *Draft* list - as many of the Human Geography journals are not listed under the HCA list (see here http://lamp.infosys.deakin.edu.au/era/)

The *draft* list puts each of the Environment and Planning journals as A*. When the final Social Science lists are released, their status will hopefully be reflected here. But I'm not sure whether the same journal can be represented in multiple lists AND given a different ranking .... Would be great if someone in the know could advise (I'm new to Australian academic and trying to get my head around it...)

The generic rankings are described as follows. Apparently Antipode is an "important outlet for the work of PhD students and early career researchers."

A* (top 5%)
Typically an A* journal would be one of the best in its field or subfield in which to publish and would typically cover the entire field/subfield.  Virtually all papers they publish will be of a very high quality.  These are journals where most of the work is important (it will really shape the field) and where researchers boast about getting accepted.  Acceptance rates would typically be low and the editorial board would be dominated by field leaders, including many from top institutions.

A (next 15%)
The majority of papers in a Tier A journal will be of very high quality. Publishing in an A journal would enhance the author’s standing, showing they have real engagement with the global research community and that they have something to say about problems of some significance.  Typical signs of an A journal are lowish acceptance rates and an editorial board which includes a reasonable fraction of well known researchers from top institutions.

B (next 30%)
Tier B covers journals with a solid, though not outstanding, reputation.  Generally, in a Tier B journal, one would expect only a few papers of very high quality. They are often important outlets for the work of PhD students and early career researchers.  Typical examples would be regional journals with high acceptance rates, and editorial boards that have few leading researchers from top international institutions.

C (next 50%)
Tier C includes quality, peer reviewed, journals that do not meet the criteria of the higher tiers.

(http://www.arc.gov.au/era/tiers_ranking.htm)
Full details of how indicators are arrived at: http://www.arc.gov.au/era/indicators.htm