That is a fair point Chris, and one that has been much visited over the years. I turned off from activism because it all seemed so naive, ill-informed and completely middle -class, but I have a lot of respect for the climate camp movement.

Post-war activism seems to have made us in the North all equal under the iron heel of capitalism and done nothing to stem the tide of suffering in the South. I protested in every legal way in  the lead up to the Iraq war, been on countless climate change demos, done innumerable talks etc but for what? I no longer believe in the power of email, online petitions and placard waving to change the world. The game is rigged in the favour of the status quo and current political action on climate change doesn’t seem a meaningful threat to that situation.

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Keene
Sent: 07 July 2009 11:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 2 degrees]

This reminds me of something I read in Chris Rose's book 'How to win campaigns' about how academics were no good as campaigners because they wanted discussion not action.  Tom is quite right here - we have to get away from debating what is a safe limit to some kind of political action

Chris

Tom Barker wrote:

Christopher, you are right of course, but politicians and campaigns need a tangible target, and that is it, like it or not.  Nothing much about climate science is definite and quantifiable. A public target of 2 degrees is at least something to aim for initially. It can be refined later. The IPCC 0.9 degrees at 2100 seems to now be six times higher according to the latest figures. That is enough to focus on isn't it? We need the global agreement at Copenhagen along the lines of Contraction and Convergence or it won't matter what figure is chosen. I guess I fear another distraction caused by endless debate over the 'safe limit'. There is a safe limit, we just don't know either how to define 'safe' or where such a limit lies.

Cheers, Tom