Picking up on the recent emails to the list by Alison and Emma (both
Smiths - are they related? Is this the Matrix?), maybe it would be
helpful for us as a group to specify together some of the many reasons
we think that the medical model persists? Here are some:

- it is superficially 'scientific' and so gains some of the authority
and prestige accorded to scientific explanations generally

- it accords with our culture's ready preference for technological
solutions to problems of various kinds

- it thus appears within an optimistic arc of possible future progress,
so offering (misplaced) hope

- it promises a quick, simple, expert solution to people's problems

- it minimises the blame, guilt, and shame of individuals by presenting
their difficulties as purely technical 'hardware faults'

- it reduces potential conflict between those distressed and those
working with them, by generating an (illusory, inappropriate) focus for
consultations and interventions

- it similarly allows families and relatives to more readily absolve
themselves of responsibility

- it is shored up by the immense resources of powerful institutions,
whose various interests it serves

And I'm sure there's much more than can be said than this...

J.
John Cromby
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leics
LE11 3TU England
Tel: 01509 223000