> This chart: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html
> combined with the CCP4 wiki's advice (that the card should say
> "stereo" under display connectors) imply that we need to spend
> at least $760 on the video card alone.

> Is that really true???  EEK!!

Uhhh no you don't. The Quadro FX 1400 is more than adequate for
crystallography. We purchase new Dell Precisions with low end NVS
cards and then switch them out with this model if we need stereo. We
usually buy ours from http://www.compuvest.com . Do a search for
"quadro 1400" in their search box and you'll see ones starting at $80
(wow, looks like it dropped $20 since we bought these last!). If you
want even cheaper deals see:

http://www.google.com/products?q=quadro+1400&scoring=p&sa=N&start=0

These are usually refurbished but we've had several of these for
almost 2 years without any problems. if anything goes bad it'll
probably be the fan which can easily be replaced.

HTH,
Sabuj