On Saturday 11 July 2009, Warren DeLano wrote:

> Along those lines, did anyone see "Up" in Stereo 3D? Does stereo 3D enhance the experience enough for this to strike you as more than just a passing fad?  The future (cost) of stereo 3D molecular visualization may well lie in the response of your kids to what has been happening lately in theaters.  If it takes off, then we're set for good! If not, then it's up to the "gamers"...

Yes I saw "Up" in 3D, and yes I think 3D animated films will become the norm.
Shooting a traditional film in 3D is hard enough to not be worth doing,
and even a stop-motion animation like "Coraline" in 3D is tricky.
But for a purely computer-generated film it's dead easy - you just render
each frame twice.  I'd bet that doubling the CPU time is trivially cheap
compared to the rest of the production costs.

But it's not clear to me that a 3D animation film can be delivered in a
useful form for viewing at home on a typical DVD player.  If you think
$700 for a computer video card is too much, think about adding that
incremental cost to every DVD player sold.

	Ethan