Well Ian, a perception of the materiality of language, particularly
written language, is, as we know, one of the most consistent ideas in
modern theory, and one way or another such a thing plays a big part in
the avant poetry/philosophy zeitgeist. A materialist poetics is shared
by a great many across the post-modern spectrum, from the French to
the Americans. Pre WW2 such a materialist poetics (though they never
talked of it in those terms at the time) was limited to the left wing
of modernism, very noticeable in the surrealists for example, but also
evident in Russian futurism and American objectivism etc. This is very
much the lineage of the avant garde, but I am always wary of attaching
too much importance to any particular aspect. Nevertheless, yes, I do
think there is a connection between the approach to language in these
movements and the 'death of god'.

I would not, however, link this directly to such things as the shift
towards free verse and experimentation because these things happened
across the broader modernist scene. I don't think what I am talking
about is to be found in the macro forms (though some might strongly
disagree with this), it is to be found in the textures and tensions,
the micro forms perhaps.

And yes, the 'in the beginning was the word' thing is, to my mind, one
of the lurking presences behind what we call the transparency of
language.  Transparency of language implies that words are direct
signifiers to actuals, and this fits in with classic Christian and
theist metaphysics. The opposite view, that language is opaque, that
we bounce back off words instead of going through them to a further
level, is, in the simplest terms, what a materialist conception of
language does. Something like that. But this is too much for me to
deal with here.

Tim A.