Sense 4b is not that recent--we've now antedated it to 1829 from 1851 ('The account of his second expedition was carefully redacted') (yes, OED is working on RE- words), but it won't come online for a while.

Giles

________________________________
From: Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 9 July, 2009 9:57:33 AM
Subject: Re: appalling, redacted, pulchritude

When and where did this take-over happen? for I've never seen it.  To my knowledge redact means to edit, or create, a (literary) formulation, and is very commonly used as such. It isn't necessarily something you do to somebody else's work; if you revise your own poem you redact it. So I find it difficult to know what is being gone on about here.

Actual 4b is a recent shift. It's basic meaning is to create in the sense of putting together.  If you censor a text you do of course redact it because it's not the same after as it was before. That doesn't make the two terms equivalent.

There is a class element, because it's a latin word, which attaches it in some people's ears to the idealism of the classicist.

PR