Dear colleagues,

It's a slow news day - we are coming into August, so that is to be expected. Except for time-sensitive messages, which I will forward to the list directly, there will be no digest next month. I'll save them all up for a bumper message at the end of August!

Best wishes and enjoy the remainder of the summer,
Erica Foden-Lenahan
Book Library
The Courtauld Institute of Art

2009-07-31 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED 2009-07-31 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED

[ARLIS-L] Arts/Archives Journal Seeks Submissions...
uesday, 28 July, 2009 20:05:35
Steve Polta <[log in to unmask]>

I'm passing on this request for submissions from INCITE

Dear ARLIS list,
I'm passing on this request for submissions from INCITE! A Journal of Experimental Media and Radical Aesthetics. Their current topic is "counter-archive," ways in which artists interact with archives, either actually or conceptually. Hopefully there may be some interest from members of this list. (I'm not officially involved in the project, fwiw.)
http://www.incite-online.net/

Submit to INCITE!
Journal of Experimental Media & Radical Aesthetics
Issue No. 2: COUNTER-ARCHIVE
Submission Deadline: September 1, 2009
The concept of “COUNTER-ARCHIVE” will be focus of INCITE’s next issue.

International contemporary art is currently in the grips of an archive fever. In recent years, more and more artists have been playing with/in the archives, opening up dynamic possibilities for counter-archival practice. In this formulation, the “counter-archive” represents an incomplete and unstable repository, an entity to be contested and expanded through clandestine acts, a space of impermanence and play. Taken as an action, the term entails mischief and imagination, challenging the record of official history. Employed as an artistic strategy it pushes our archival impulse into new territories, encouraging critique and material alteration/fabrication and emboldening anarchivism.  To counter-archive is to counter-act, to rewrite, to animate over.  In this age of draconian copyright law, the archive is rich with subversive potential.

This issue aims at addressing practices of repurposing found sound and image in light of their particular histories and contemporary transformations in media economies and ownership.  It proposes the archive as a site for creative intervention, one that enables new possibilities for preserving and representing individual memory within a larger historical consciousness. In this strange moment of image excess and commercial limitation (due to the increasing privitization of archives by multinational corporations), we can all become archivists and micro-analysts of our shared sociocultural experience.  Equal participation in the constitution and interpretation of the archive is a key to counteracting the unseen hand of authority, and helps to invigorate successful content-sharing applications such as YouTube, Wikipedia, and Creative Commons.

Texts, proposals, films + videos, online projects, and queries can be emailed to Brett Kashmere at [log in to unmask]. We also welcome submissions (manifestos, essays, interviews, artist papers, etc) not connected to the organizing theme.

For further information on our editorial policy and submission guidelines, please consult the “Information” section of our website (http://www.incite-online.net/informationweb.html).

Please forward this call to anyone that you think would be interested in contributing.

--

INCITE! Journal of Experimental Media & Radical Aesthetics is a new publication dedicated to the discourse, culture, and community of experimental film, video, and new media. Merging print and online platforms, this hybrid journal addresses the lack of critical attention afforded film and media artists working today. http://www.incite-online.net

[ARLIS-L] Marietta Hoferer - Malibu
hursday, 30 July, 2009 16:26:08
Arezoo Moseni <[log in to unmask]>

Marietta Hoferer
Malibu

30 July – 14 October 2009

Art Wall on Third
The Art Collection, 3rd floor
Mid-Manhattan Library

40th Street @ 5th Avenue
New York , NY 10016
212-340-0871
Mon-Wed 9-9, Thu-Sat 10-6, Sun 1-5

The Art Collection at Mid-Manhattan Library is pleased to present an installation of transparent tape and paper reliefs by the well-known German American sculptor Marietta Hoferer. Her inventive approach to collage drawings through the use of tape has elevated a functional material such as industrial tape into an aesthetic level of experience for viewers. As we are drawn into the elegant subtleties of Malibu, we become aware of its meditative quality and are mesmerized by the quiet and whimsical play of light and implied atmosphere. Bruno LeMieux-Ruibal, the Spanish American contemporary art critic and writer, will join Hoferer for an Artist Dialogue on Saturday August 8th at 2:30 p.m. on the 6th floor. The exhibition series Art Wall on Third is curated by Arezoo Moseni.

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2009 at http://www.arlis.org.uk/