Hello all,

Thank you very much to everyone who responded to my query last week
about the promotion of educational resources.

Some people asked for a summary of responses, so here goes...

The consensus seems to be that it is very difficult to contact teachers
directly as they are always so busy and don't necessarily realise what
Archives can offer them.  No magic solution to generate interest seems to
have been found yet (unless someone is guarding it very carefully!)

Some people conduct surveys and/or send schools forms asking them what
they would like to see in resource packs.  Holding open evenings and
attending school assemblies were also mentioned.  Perhaps the most useful
suggestion (for my circumstances, that is) was to make contact with an
educational consultant who works for the LEA or council.  Another similar
option was to try and work in partnership with, for example, local museums
who may well have more established school links than your archive service.

There were a number of websites mentioned which could be useful for
promoting resources: TES, Visual Arts Data Service and Culture 24.

Thanks again, the advice was very useful and much appreciated.

With best wishes,
Mary Ann

Mary Ann Davison
Archivist/Records Manager
Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9RD
T 0161 907 5211
www.archives.rncm.ac.uk
This Is The Week That...: http://www.rncm.ac.uk/content/view/604/151
Archive of the Month: http://www.rncm.ac.uk/content/view/274/151
My usual working hours are Monday-Friday 8.00am-3.30pm.  On Thursdays
and Fridays I work from home but can still be contacted by email.