Colleagues in nra-archives may find this thread (redacted by me!) from LocHist of interest.
Iain

| IEF Flett | 5 Provost Road | Tayport | Fife | Scotland DD6 9JE | 01382 552218 | 07796585188 þ|

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:43:12 +0000
Subject: Re: [LOCAL-HISTORY] New History of Freemasonry
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for that endorsement, Eve.

I have been in touch with A J Morton and we will provide suggestions of possible contacts to help review this work. Our catalogue of resources, covering all our Library materials and some archive and museum items is available on-line at www.freemasonry.london.museum - follow link to 'catalogue'. Our Library is open for research to all registered readers from 10am until 5pm, Monday to Friday. Details of how to obtain a Reader's Ticket are available on our website under 'Library'. Our enquiry telephone number is 020 7395 9257.

There are free tours of Freemasons' Hall, London's hidden Art Deco gem, Monday to Friday 11am, 12 noon, 2, 3 and 4pm, but it is always good to telephone in advance, as there are no tours when events take place in the Temple.

We have recently added details for 121 petitions for Masonic charity, dating from 1747 to 1888, to our on-line catalogue
http://www.freemasonry.london.museum/catalogue.php
as HC 12/C/. Many documents list details of those seeking help, providing information for some 300 or so named individuals. The collection spans the charitable work of all three grand lodges, namely the Moderns (or premier) Grand Lodge and the Antients Grand Lodge, which merged in 1813 to form the United Grand Lodge of England. The petitions were sent in by lodges in various English counties, including London, Essex, Dorset, Northumberland, Lancashire and Kent., relating to masons from Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Cyprus and America.

In particular, the petitions highlight the business difficulties and the plight of families whose husbands and fathers have been imprisoned or otherwise disadvantaged during wartime. Petitions of note include that of Alexander Jack, a former army officer from London, who is unable to support his 35 children 'born in wedlock' after falling ill. Another was received from the four sons of the late John Caseley, orphans in the care of their grandmother who was unable to support them following the death of both parents.

Several petitions mention circumstances arising from the situation in France during the eighteenth century, also the subject of our Summer Exhibition, Freemasonry and the French Revolution, which is open free of charge Monday to Friday 10am until 5pm, 1 July to 18 December 2009.

With best wishes,
Susan

> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:20:36 +0100
> Subject: Re: New History of Freemasonry
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I suppose you have been in touch with Susan Snell at the Library and
> Museum of Freemasonry archivist. If not she is on 02074047418 -
>
> Best wishes
>
> Eve Watson

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. Download Now