** Protective Marking : NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED  **

Dear all,

The consultation on Archives for the 21st Century has now been running for eight weeks, and we have been delighted with the level of responses we have received so far.  There are just under six weeks until the consultation closes on 12th August, and we would urge those who have yet to respond to take advantage of this opportunity. We welcome responses from individuals, groups and institutions: all views are very valuable to us.

The draft policy, and the electronic questionnaire are available here: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archivesconsultation

I include the questions below for your information. While I hope this is helpful for the preparation of your responses to the consultation, I would request that you use the online version to submit your replies wherever possible.  If, on the other hand, you have additional points to make about the policy document I can be emailed directly on [log in to unmask]

Regards,

Jessamy Sykes (Ms.)

Government Policy Support Officer

Archives Sector Development
The National Archives
Kew, Richmond,
Surrey TW9 4DU

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444 Ext. 2221

Archives for the 21st Century

1.    Do you think a policy to set the strategic direction for the archives sector is needed at this time?

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

2.    Does the document identify the right challenges and obstacles currently being faced by the sector?

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

3.    Do the recommendations (listed below) provide an appropriate direction for addressing the identified challenges?

a.    In the longer term, there is significant value in moving towards fewer, bigger, better archive services for a more sustainable future.

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

b.    Strengthened leadership and responsive skilled workforce is necessary to raise the profession's profile at both a national and local level.

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

c.    Developing a co-ordinated response to managing digital information and for continued access in the future.

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

d.     Ensuring that there is comprehensive online access to archive catalogues and content.

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

e.     Developing active participation in partnerships with other cultural and learning services.

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

            Comments:

4.     Do you agree with the model of excellence for a publicly funded archive service outlined in the policy (page 16)?

Yes / No / Don’t Know / No opinion

Comments:

5.     Please add any additional comments that you have not covered elsewhere:

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message
or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.