Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:53:34 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Viewing of electronic reports
To: [log in to unmask]

This seems to be about the norm. On our web repository, which accepts diagnostic results from radiology, endoscopy as well as all pathology disciplines, the average look up rate is 58% and has been at that level consistently for 2-3 years.

We know that many of the paper reports are not filed judging from discussions amongst the clinical teams. The impact on clinical care has not been quantified or costed but would make for an interesting and challenging research project.

We also know that telephone enquiries are not making up the difference as we don’t receive that many calls and wouldn’t have the staff to cope if we did.

There is currently interest centrally in working up methods to ensure that result receipt and actions can be acknowledged electronically. I am sure there will be opportunities for the ACB to contribute to that work as it develops.

Rick Jones