Some personal comments.

1  would ban any samples not in vacutainers or similar tubes. Decontaminating after leaks can lead to a lot of downtime.

2 At my previous hospital pharmacy shared the pods and used them for drug delivery. Despite different colour codes wards often used pharmacy pods for lab samples and vice – versa. Although I often sent pods back to the pharmacy with a note stating they needed decontamination I suspect the notes were thrown away and the pods re-used.

3 – no suggestions.

4 ban the use of ice with blood gas samples. (many sites don’t allow blood gases anyway)

Ban glass containers.

Ensure all users are aware of who is responsible for repairs and what number to phone when more pods are needed.

Make sure ward sisters don’t hoard pods.

Have credible sanctions to ensure users comply with rules – e.g. cut off service for one day for first offence, one week for second and so on.

Mike Collins

BMS3

Biochemistry Automation

Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital