A must read Q&A session with the author of *'Worried Sick'*. Beautiful words
on effectiveness, efficiency and quality.

Ali

*Worried Sick*

<http://152.2.156.55/browse/book_detail?title_id=1543>A Prescription for
Health in an Overtreated America

*Nortin M. Hadler, M.D*

Copyright (c) 2008 by the University of North Carolina Press. All rights
reserved.

Nortin M. Hadler, M.D., author of *Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health
in an Overtreated America<http://152.2.156.55/browse/book_detail?title_id=1543>
*, on what every patient needs to know.

*Q: You're an eminent physician and scientist and a renowned clinician and
clinical educator. In Worried Sick, you call for evidence-based medicine
that demands that the care of the patient be tempered by the science that
delimits clinical certainty. What compelled you to become a reformer? Do you
think that your message will be controversial? *

*A:* I never viewed myself as a reformer, only as a physician who feels
compelled to bring the highest level of clinical scholarship to the bedside
and to model such an approach for my students. I have taught medicine at the
bedside for 40 years with the same rigor I bring to *Worried Sick*.
Furthermore, the notion that medical practice should take advantage of
whatever science has to contribute is not controversial. That notion is a
tenet.

However, "evidence based medicine" has become a shibboleth rather than a
process. All I am doing and all I am asking is that we closely examine the
"evidence" as to its relevance to the well being of any particular patient.
Worried Sick teaches how to do so, and how productive the exercise can be.
The result demystifies much that is common practice, and informs the
patient-physician dialogue. If the result flies in the face of common
practice, it is common practice that needs reform.

*Q: How do you hope Worried Sick will be used?*

*A:* I have written *Worried Sick* to serve three audiences: I want to teach
all how to interpret medical advice from any source and how to participate
in a dialogue with anyone we choose to serve as our clinical resource. I
want to establish a new standard for bedside teaching of all health care
professionals. I want to inform the health care policy debate. Overly
ambitious? Certainly. Overdue? Also, certainly.

*Q: Why did you decide to include a shadow chapter for each of the chapters?
*

*A:*  A: Some of the lay readership will desire access to the details of the
science that supports my assertions. In fact, I hope that all readers will
feel such a need. However, all health professionals who read Worried Sick
should demand ready access to such detail. After all, many of my assertions
will seem counterintuitive at first blush. I would not serve the readership
well without the shadow chapters and the extensive bibliography.

*Q: How does this book differ from your previous work, The Last Well Person:
How to Stay Well Despite the Health-Care System? *

*A:* *Worried Sick* differs from *The Last Well Person* in many important
aspects: First of all, *Worried Sick* picks up where *The Last Well
Person*left off both chronologically (since the literature of the
4-year interval
is emphasized) and substantively since much of the clinical science has
matured. Secondly, several important issues that were barely touched upon in
*The Last Well Person* are carefully dissected in *Worried Sick*. And I have
gone to some length to cast the inferences in a light that is directly
relevant to health policy considerations.

I have attempted to craft *Worried Sick* so that anyone who has read *The
Last Well Person* will feel well served by reading *Worried Sick* as well.
Many a medical journal club has used each of the shadow chapters in The *Last
Well Person* as a focus and stimulus; the same journal clubs can
productively return to the chapters in *Worried Sick* to good effect.

*Q: Why is it so difficult for the average patient to advocate for himself
or herself in the contemporary health-care delivery system? *

*A:* It is not just the "average" patient who has such difficulty. We all
do, even those of us with medical expertise. The role of the patient is one
of inherent vulnerability. We must countenance the probing of another human
being into aspects of our life story that we hold so very dear. We need to
trust our "provider." We reserve a special pedestal for our "provider." We
will feel a great deal of disquiet if that trust is lacking. "Health care"
is a philosophy. It may be informed by science, but it is always a
philosophy.

Today, trustworthiness is assaulted by a "health care delivery system" that
places little value on these human interactions and great value on
"efficiency" and profitability. Neither the patient nor the practitioner is
a primary "stakeholder" any longer.

*Worried Sick* leaves no doubt as to this emperor's clothing and tailor.

*Q: What is "Type II medical malpractice"? *

*A:*  We all know about "medical malpractice." It's when appropriate medical
care is administered inappropriately. I call this Type I medical
malpractice. In *Worried Sick* I repeatedly illustrate another form of
medical malpractice, the practice of doing the unnecessary very well. This
Type II medical malpractice demands recognition and expunging as much as
Type I medical malpractice. No one would argue. But you will learn in *Worried
Sick* that some of the most technologically sophisticated and expensive
interventions, interventions for which a great deal of training is required
and about which there is exuberant institutional pride, interventions to
which you and your neighbor are likely to submit are shining examples of
Type II medical malpractice.

*Q: What does it mean to be well, and what makes one's sense of well-being
so fragile? *

*A:*  To be well is to have a sense of invincibility, a sense that we can
cope with much that life throws in our path. This sense of invincibility is
repeatedly challenged; none of us lives long without such symptoms as
backache, heartache, headache, heartburn and much else. Furthermore, often
these challenges from within are confounded by challenges from without in
our lives at home and at work.
To be well is never to be taken for granted.
To feel well requires well tuned coping mechanisms.

*Q: What keeps us from having a rational health-care delivery system? *