No Kool-Aid here.  Obama proposed the funding in his budget before the
health care battle started; it could have been included in the Budget
Resolution’s reconciliation instructions; the administration pressed House
and Senate to do that; they lost.  But I don’t think it’s fair to say the
“set-aside” savings were something he just “left to the Congressional
leaders.”

CBO is right on the estimates.  It is dead wrong in saying that, if the
legislation has some perfectly reasonable provisions such as an individual
mandate or risk-adjustment, that means the insurance will be “government
spending.”  It was wrong to even answer a question about “scoring” rules
changes such as PayGo and IMAC.  So it hasn’t quite been “right each time.”
But it’s right on the overall question of how much the various bills would
save.  Not much.

The lever has always been business; they’ve stayed out of it; so there’s
nothing to pressure the Blue Dogs.  Sigh.

But bizarre things do happen.  The Red Sox won the World Series.  Now if
only Obama and Pelosi were taking Andro…

(sorry, U.S. reference….)

Joe